Council Prosecuted for Swimming Pool HSE Failings

A Council in the UK has been prosecuted by the HSE to the sum of £18,000 and ordered to pay £7,500 costs following a terrifying incident.

A young girl’s hair was sucked into a grille and became trapped under the water when her hair became entangled.

It took 2 minutes and 36 seconds for the child’s 67 year old great-grandfather to rescue her by forcefully pulling her hair out of the vent.  She was pulled from the water limp and blue, but gradually regained consciousness.

Although two lifeguards were on duty, one was cleaning and the other could not see what was going on due to glare on the pool surface from the sun.

The HSE said the pool should have had two vents so in the case of one becoming blocked the other would relieve the suction.

Commercial and Specialised Diving are swimming pool safety experts.  If you worried about the safety of your swimming pool we can survey it for you and fit bespoke solutions to any hazards found.

Please do not hesitate to give us a call on 01202 580007.